Are You Ready to Make Your Photo-ART Social in YYJ?
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
New to Social Media Camp this year is the Mobile Phone Photo-Art Show. This has been instigated and organized by the very talented visual artist and prolific iPhone Photographer, Brenda Johima. Brenda is a former Social Media Camp featured speaker and panelist, and is here for her third year in a row, this year as a Power Session presenter.
*** REVISED on June 7th for Simplicity and for this one solo Instigator of this project and for Simplicity of Ease of Use for conference attendees, the majority of giveaways will be drawn random from a box, at booth 24.**
The Social Media Camp Mobile Photo-Art Show (with Brenda Johima)
This groundbreaking (real time and online) mobile phone photo exhibit is a first on Vancouver Island! Open to both iPhone and Android mobile phone photographers who attend Social Media Camp in person, we’re excited to have this as part of the conference. It’s a mobile phone photo-art show, with a a few small UN-contests, a lot of random luck … and all social and visual FUN. It’s all about creating a positive vibe with images, encouraging and cheering each other on.
The two goals are 1.) participation from as many people as possible; and 2.) creativity.
My personal Goal 3.) Support all the incredible app developers and talent that create these awesome art and photography apps for us. Please visit their websites, blogs, Facebook pages and Twitter accounts
Rules. There is only one.
1. Respect. If people don’t want their photo taken, please choose someone else 🙂 Not everybody wants their photo posted to social networks. For the gregarious, photogenic and those who love to be in photos, go for it.
How will it work and how to participate:
- When you arrive, pick up an info. sheet at Booth 24.
- Drop your business card in the box if you want to win giveaways. We must have your email address for giveaways.
- Everyone needs to download the CapsuleCam app (Android and iPhone) below, you’ll be able to see the images uploaded real time on your mobile device, AND also on a flat panel screen that will be at Booth 24. Come and Say HI to me please, and if you can spare a free moment, I could use a little volunteer help 🙂
- Beginner iPhone photographers and anyone else who would like to, please download the Pinweel app if you want to give that a try also
- If you are a beginner iPhone user and only want to be part of a smaller group for image sharing, please download the Pinweel app
- It’s all inclusive. Anyone attending the conference in person, with Android or iPhone can participate. You must be registered as a conference attendee (or volunteer) or trade show exhibitor.
- Take mobile phone photos from the moment you arrive on Friday 8:30 a.m. until closing with the last speaker on Saturday at 5:00 p.m.. Winners will be announced and sent codes for download on Monday and Tuesday after the conference.***You will need to provide an email address at Booth 24 if you win and want the codes emailed so you can download your giveaway***
- >>Upload images all weekend, whenever you want. There is no limit.<< (Think Twitter but with pictures)
- *Images can be ones that you have taken before, or that you take during your time at the conference. You can upload from existing photo albums online if you choose.*
- You can post-process images using one or multiple photography and art apps, or use none at all.
- All photos must be taken and post-processed with a mobile phones only
- You can ‘like’ photos with a thumbs up from within Pinweel (we are NOT using the “thumbs down.” do not use it)
- Both apps have a web version as well. There will be a URL you can get at the conference to follow the stream of images.
The hashtag for this mobile phone photo-art part of the conference on Twitter is #SMPhotoArt
What do you need to do to join in? It’s Super Simple!
- Download the FREE app Capsule (available for both Android and iPhone) This will be our primary social networking
- Download the FREE app Pinweel (if you want to try both, this one is for iPhone only)
- Try it out, get comfortable with the apps.
- You’ll upload your images to capsules created just for the conference or ones you have created previously. Use #SMPhotoArt and #SMCamp
- Beginners, we’re going to have an additional and separate stream of images. You can download Download the FREE app Pinweel (available for iPhone only) *Note there is Pinwheel, which is a different app, we are using Pinweel (without the “H”)
- *Please note this is an experiment, a trial for this first year so let’s get “not serious” as there is only one me, Brenda Johima, running this, it’s for FUN!* (be nice 🙂
Categories and Suggestions for IDEAS to inspire you to take photos :
- Just Make Art
- It’s a Compliment. Geek, Nerd and Techie
- I LOVE Victoria
- Architecture and Buildings
- “Almost” Anything Goes
- Two elements of design. Line and/or Pattern
- Most Creative Self-Portrait
- Newbies and Beginners (Anything Goes. Just Take Pictures)
- Keeners and Pros (please see below, we have judges if you like to compete)
How can you win a Giveaway?
For 2012 it will be winning primarily by random draw out of a box, at booth 24 except for a couple of “UN-judged” categories. The main goal is to take photos and post them via the apps.
1. For those ‘competitive’ types out there who like to WIN because of skill:
We have a ‘contest’ we have one category, which will be judged. Winning photos will be selected first for creativity, and as well for excellent use of the basic elements of fine art and design that make for a great photo. UN-Judges are Brenda Johima, Kris Krug and Derek Ford.
- Keeners and Pros (self-defined. if you think you are one, or want to be one, and want to excel to show off the best possible images at this conference, this is you. you would be one who focuses on things like composition, line, pattern, shape, texture and the elements of fine art and design)
- Based on the final opinions of UN-Judges Brenda Johima, Kris Krug and Derek Ford
- Post all your images via the CapsuleCamapp
2. For those who like a specific assignment and a challenge to WIN:
- Best Creative Self-Portrait (0r a photo with a new friend(s) you’d never met before Social Media Camp)
- Based on the final opinions of UN-Judges Brenda Johima, Kris Krug and Derek Fordyou win:
3. One more challenge and this is FUN:
- Person who not only submits photos to participate, but who is the most friendly, and helpful, encouraging, motivating, supportive to others in your COMMENTS on other people’s photographs within Capsule and/or Pinweel wins a big package. So not only do you have to submit photos, but you have to encourage others in the process :
How else can you win a giveaway?
- Random and Luck
- Random draws made at Booth 24 : Put your business card or name in the box at the booth (MUST have an email address to win)
- Best Self-Portrait (0r a photo with a new friend(s) you’d never met before Social Media Camp) (UN-judged by Brenda Johima, Kris Krug and Derek Ford)
- Paper in a box voting at booth 24, for your favorite mobile phone photographer (There will be a box (yes, where you will put a piece of paper, real paper 🙂 at Booth 24 and into it with the name of your favorite mobile photographer at the conference. They don’t have to be the best, just your favorite, it could be somebody who inspired you, or helped you out, or who takes cool photos. Put their name in the box. They’ll get something cool as a surprise)
- Try, participate, comment on others photos, inspire and encourage other people, help others who may need a hand. You’re being watched 🙂 You might win on kindness, helpfulness and giving, and by simply giving it a shot, which is one core value to successful social networking online. The most friendly, kind, encouraging, motivating, supportive person in their comments made to others within the apps will win a giveaway.
With gratitude, courtesy of Nick Wrzesinski from SmugMug
- 1-year SmugMug ‘Pro’ account : (3)
- “Your Photos Look Better Here.® Billions of happy photos. Millions of passionate customers.”
A HUGE thank you to Alex Tsepko and Veronica Melnikova at MacPhun who have given me codes to 41 giveaways for iPhone, iPad and MAC! Absolutely awesome-fantastic! These people are very generous, and friendly, kind people who have a brilliant app development company.
- FX Photo Studio for iPhone (11 copies)
- FX Photo Studio for MAC (6 copies)
- FX Photo Studio for iPad (6 copies)
- Color Splash Studio for MAC (9 copies)
- Snapheal for MAC (9 copies)
Thank you to Camera+ and Lisa Bettany
- Camera+ app for iPhone (10 copies)
- Thanks to photographer Lisa Bettany and her development team at tap tap tap
- Did you know that Lisa Bettany is from Victoria, and also has traveled the world with her iPhone?
Thank you to 100 Cameras in 1 and Trey Ratcliff
- 100 Cameras in 1 iPhone app (5 copies)
- HDR Video Tutorial Total Package with BONUS! (1 copy)
- Photoshop eBook — “10 Essential Photoshop Skills Everyone Should Know (for beginners and just beyond)” by Trey Ratcliff (5 copies)
- Thanks to travel photographer Trey Ratcliff
- Visit Trey Ratcliff’s blog and website Stuck in Customs, which has been rated as a #1 travel blog online and a wealth of information and help for photographers of all levels
The apps that will help make it happen, image sharing (real time and online) :
Thank you to Cyrus Farudi and Ryan Schmidt of CapsuleCam who have been incredibly supportive and helpful and will be available for your support questions via their website and from within the app. They are sending me some swag so if you come by Booth 24, it will be given out at random and by luck throughout the two days.
Thank you to James Tillinghast of Pinweel who provides superb support and he’s given me some swag if you come by Booth 24, it will be given out at random and by luck throughout the two days. He’s also available for support questions via their website.
At the conference find Brenda JOHIMA at Booth 24
(and she’s also presenting a POWER Session on iPhone Photography, Friday June 8th at 9:20 a.m.)
** disclaimer. please note. these are not affiliate links. i have requested app giveaways on my own, for conference attendees, in order to encourage participation in the new mobile phone photo-art show/exhibit. this comes from my desire and belief that better images make for a more beautiful web, and if we have a few techniques and awesome apps to help out, let’s share the wealth of it for all of us to not only improve photography skills but also stretch our creative boundaries as there truly are no limits. my gift to you. i’m not getting paid by any of these app developers to do this **